Sunday 28 July 2013

Faith in God kept me going in my nine years search for a child- Erelu Mojisola Adams


The story of Erelu Mojisola Adams, wife of the National Coordinator of the Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) Otunba Gani Adams, is both interesting and inspiring. Born to Christian parents, Mojisola found herself in love with a leader of a group many believed to be fetish. As if that was not enough, she could not conceive nine years into the marriage. But with determination and ‘faith in God’, she scaled all the hurdles, becoming pregnant and getting a son nine years into the marriage. In this interview with Segun Ajiboye, she told her story, how she met her husband and how she maintains her home among other issues.

What defines your fashion and style?
Many things define my fashion. My mood, the weather and thing function I am attending combine to define my fashion.
How does being the wife of an OPC leader affect your fashion sense?
That does not really affect the way I dress in any way. Of course, you know that fashion is all about you and how you want people to view you. So being the wife anybody does mean you should dress anyhow. My fashion should at all times protect my name and image, and I should cover my body at all times. I won’t say because I am the wife of a celebrity, that I should dress too loud, shabbily or expose my cleavages.
Okay. How loud would you wear your jewellery?
That exactly is what I am saying. It all depends on my mood and the function. For example, if I’m going for a big party, then I need to b a bit loud.
Would that be to announce your presence?
No! Don’t forget that my husband is not a politician, so I don’t really need to make any noise. Moreover, I like what suits me and makes me comfortable. I like jewellery, but not the type that makes noise about you in public. I love whatever I can afford. That’s me for you.
What catches your fancy most?
Shoes and leathers are my favourites. I love leathers and jewelries. I love leather shoes, bags and belts. These are my priorities as far as fashion is concerned. I love Brazilian leather.
Can you put a figure to the number of leather bags, belts and shoes on your rack?
Prolonged laughter… They are not too many. Let’s say about fifty.
How do you cope as the wife of Gani Adams?
I am used to the system. From the first day, I decided that I will cope with whatever comes my way. I keep myself busy by doing things that will engage me. I read a lot, and I also watch movies, especially the Nigerian home videos. They have improved a lot, so I keep myself busy with stuffs like these. I also keep myself busy by looking after my businesses. The truth is that I cannot even keep pace with some things that I would have loved to do in a day.
Talking about novels, who is your favourite author?
My favourite author is Daniel Seel.
I’m sure it’s all about romance…
Yes. He talks about ladies and romance.
How romantic are you?
I don’t think that I can score myself.
But when the issue is about love, say Valentine, how would you spend such day?
Generally, I spend Valentine’s Day by sending gifts to people around me. I also visit people in need.
You mean you don’t spend the day with your husband?
But I show love to my husband every day. However, the first thing on a Valentine’s Day is that I show love to him. I don’t really believe that love should be shown once in a year.
Some women will surely find it tough to be in your shoes. How easy is it for you?
It all depends on what you want. You derive joy and pleasure from doing what you love. That’s the case with me. As a child, I have always been surrounded by people. My parents had lots of people that were living with us. So I am used to living with people.
How do you handle the issue of trust, especially when it concerns your husband’s busy schedules taking him out of the home?
Trust is a very important subject in any marriage. You must also know that no man is a saint. So the best thing is to set your mind off those areas in order for you to live long. You should also know that every marriage has its own challenges. But for me, I don’t allow all those things to disturb me.
What lessons did mummy teach you about marital life?
My mum died before we got married. But she witnessed a bit of our courtship. I remember her settling a dispute for us back then. She pointedly told me: ‘Moji, don’t for any reason spy on your husband or check his phone’. She said his phone should be private to him, and that I should devote my time to making the relationship work. So these days, I don’t trouble myself trying to see his phone or prying into what he is doing. It was a lesson that I have taken to heart till now. My mum was a good woman and mother. She really taught me a lot about life and what you should do in a particular situation. All those things have combined to help me with my relationship with my husband.
You are from a Christian home. But you are married to a man who is seen as fetish. How do you cope with this?
I see him as a figure who has every bit of everything in him. If you talk of Christianity, he is there. He is also there if you talk of Islam or traditional worships. However, I am sure that he must have his bias, which I know. But as a leader of a diverse group of people, he has to be able to cope with some bits of all the three religions. For me, I am a Christian and I am very proud of my religion. I know that God created everybody and He is not biased. I don’t believe that you don’t have to relate with other people because they don’t practice your own religion.
I can see that you are very happy holding your baby…
Prolonged laughter…Yes o! I should be happy now.
What kept you going during those periods when you were looking unto God?
I always believed that God’s time is the best. I always had faith because I normally took in, though it drops. So my faith in God was enough strength for me during the period. I knew he would do it at His own time. Recently, I was counseling a woman who is waiting on the Lord, and I told her not to lose hope. I told that no one can do it, no pastor or Imam can do it, except God. Even a pastor will only tell you to have faith. Even the drugs that your doctors give to you, it is when God says it is time that you can get pregnant. For example, most of the hormonal drugs that I was given made fatter every day. So at the end of the day, it is God that can do it. I got pregnant at the least expected period, so you can see that it was God who did it.
You are graduate of Banking and Finance. Where is the certificate?
I don’t even know where the certificate is at the moment. I love business, I have always loved doing business since my childhood days.
What type of business do you do?
I am involved in a lot of businesses.
How would you describe Erelu Mojisola Adams?
I am from a very humble background. I come from the Fasan family of Ondo. I spent my childhood days in Ile-Ife, Osun State. I attended Obafemi Awolowo Primary School in Ile-Ife. At that time, my dad worked with Shell Oil, and so was based in Port Harcourt. But my mum worked with the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. He later moved to UTC, and later to Rank Xerox. He later studied law and became a lawyer.
From your description, your family is somehow elitist. Didn’t your parents frown at your relationship with your husband?
My parents didn’t frown at my relationship at all. The only thing my dad prays for is that his kids are more comfortable than he is. As a matter of fact, the only advice he gave me was that I should think it over very well before making up my mind. He said he would not take it if I come back after a few years to tell him that I am no longer interested in the marriage. Even now, he would side with my husband if I have any reason to complain to him.
You wedded in 2003. Has there been any time that you feared you’d made a mistake marrying him?
There has never been anytime like that. Though we have had our own challenges, but there had never a time that I would think that I made a mistake marrying my husband.  As a Christian, I don’t look back and regret my actions.
What is it that the public don’t know about Otunba Adams?
You don’t expect me to tell you that. Do you? However, one aspect of him that I know very well is that he is very caring. He has a very caring attitude towards his family. His family comes first before him. There is nothing he has that I cannot use. Some men would warn their wives and family not to touch their cars or other property, but not my husband, I am free to touch and use any thing that belongs to him. He believes that the responsibility of taking care of the home rests wholly on his shoulders.
For how long did your courtship last?
We courted for three years.
I’m sure it was fun…
It was far from it. It was the period of his problem with the Lagos police…
And that was not enough to change your mind?
I didn’t even know he was Gani Adams at the time. I was at the Kwara State Polytechnic at the time, so I didn’t really know much about happening in Lagos. All he told about himself was that his name is Abdulganiyu, so I didn’t link him with Gani Adams until one day when my friends came to me to tell me that my friend is the much-talked about Gani Adams. My friends said he could disappear, drink blood and had the power to do sinister things. I later asked him if he is indeed Gani Adams, and he confirmed it. He told me about the struggle and that he is fighting for the freedom of his people. He would tell us stories about past heroes of similar struggles all over the world.
Is your husband romantic?
I’d give him forty percent. Sometimes, when he tries to be romantic, you’ll know that he is only trying to do it or acting. But he is at his caring best if you fall sick or somehow indisposed.
So he is the typical African man?
General laughter… How many African men will open the door for their wives to enter the car? Very few men would do that. You know that our men are very rigid about some cultural stuff. Even his family should not see him doing some things, or else…
Is there anything that being married to Otunba Gani Adams has denied you?
Sure there are some things that I can no longer do. For example, I was on my way from the church one day when I stopped over to buy some fish. I was arguing over the price when some boys came over and started shouting my name. I was embarrassed that I quickly gave them money and asked the driver to zoom off.

No comments:

Post a Comment